UIM Coverage

What You Should Know About:

Protecting Yourself from Uninsured Drivers

Uninsured & Underinsured Motorist Coverage Helps YOU Recover

Three things you should know:

  1. National studies show one in eight drivers is uninsured – and that average is even higher in Washington state. Most drivers who ARE insured carry only minimum liability limits.
  2. About 12 percent of all crashes reported in 2015 were “hit and run” collisions.
  3. Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage pays for injuries or damages to you, your passengers and your vehicle if the party at fault is uninsured or underinsured.

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury (BI) and Property Damage (PD) Coverage

This coverage pays for injuries to covered drivers and passengers, and to help repair or replace a damaged/destroyed vehicle, if the at-fault driver carries no liability insurance, or if the crash was due to a “hit and run.”

This coverage also applies when the at-fault driver carries liability insurance, but the policy limits are insufficient to cover the cost of your injuries or damages, or if you or an insured family member are injured by an uninsured/underinsured driver while you are a pedestrian.

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury coverage is optional for drivers in Washington and Idaho but is required coverage for drivers in Oregon. Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Property Damage coverage is optional in all three states. If you choose not to purchase Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage, you may be required by state law to sign a waiver.

Additional Resources:

UIM Coverage